Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Reminiscing...

...and not about something glamourous or good, either.

I'm in an HR seminar all week in Portland and this afternoon we talked about interviewing candidates, strategic planning, recruiting, blah blah blah.

Many years ago (ok, 5 or 6 to be exact), when I first moved to Seattle, I was interviewing for jobs...normal day jobs, after becoming disillusioned by the massage world and realizing that I needed to eat and pay rent.

So I registered w/ a staffing firm and they sent me on an interview at a travel site's corporate office, where I'd be interviewing for an online marketing position.  Mind you, I knew v little about that at the time, but figured I'd give it a shot and, at the very least, practice my interviewing skills.  

Why not, right?

WRONG.

I went in, and started answering questions the best way I knew how.  I knew I wasn't going to be offered the position, but like I said, it was perfect for me to practice!  
There were a few questions I didn't know the answer to, so I explained to this to the panel.
At one point, one of the interviewers leans forward and says, "Define obscure."
*blink blink*

I stared at him.  I knew what he was getting at - he figured I had no idea what I was talking about during the interview...which I really didn't, but that was plain rude.  I remember the exact moment too - his face, his demeanor (he was already condescending after he read thru my resume), his shitty preppy outfit.  I also remember his cohorts (there were 4 total) actually SNICKERING after he asked me.  Out of the 4 douchebags, only 1 looked like he felt kind of bad for me. 

I wound up getting a job elsewhere and since then, have continued to work in pretty awesome jobs.  I may not have made it in marketing, but that wasn't what I wanted to do anyway and definitely didn't want to work w/ people like that.

To that guy, I say:

Hey asshole, when your department got slashed over there, I'm pretty sure you lost your job in the process.  Karma's a bitch, huh?  Now who's obscure?





1 comment:

  1. haha awesome takedown! TG you didn't work with those fools. also: i had forgotten that you had moved to Seattle not too long before us. neat :) celebrating 5 years this july woot!

    ReplyDelete